As Will Durant rightly quoted – Knowledge is the eye of desire and can become the pilot of the soul; we are driven by the goal to provide products and services of the utmost quality, in this journey of ours we had to pull up our socks and learn anything and everything about the telematics and video telematics industry. As we started gaining more knowledge and understanding the industry better, we decided to share the same with our customers and telematics enthusiasts.
Right from the day of inception, our blogs are aimed at providing insights and updates from the video telematics industry and in particular, what we at LightMetrics have been up to.
Key pointers from our top blogs
Here are some highlights from our most memorable blogs of this year. Before that, let’s take a look at our readers’ most loved blogs of this year:
- 5 Ways Safer Driving Benefits Fleets
- 3 Steps to Get More Driver Buy-Ins on Dash Cams
- How Video Telematics Enhances Safety on the Roads
- Types of Driver Distractions and What Fleets Can Do About Them
We have summarized the key takeaways that you can use for any future reference:
5 Ways Safer Driving Benefits Fleets
Drivers are at the heart of fleet operations. Everything they do impacts the business in a direct way. How safely they drive is the most impactful.
These are the benefits of safer driving for fleets:
- Reduction in fines, citations, and demerit points
- Fewer accidents and risky driving events
- Savings on insurance premiums
- Better CSA scores and greater business opportunities
- Fuel savings
3 Steps to Get More Driver Buy-Ins on Dash Cams
To safeguard your fleet, you need to recruit the best drivers and retain them as long as you can. It’s also equally important to equip your drivers with the right set of tools like dash cams. How do you ensure driver buy-ins on dash cams? Here are a few tips:
Step 1: Tell them why they need the dashcam
Be transparent. Explain the rationale of installing dashcams to your drivers.
Step 2: Take their opinion into consideration earnestly
Listen to their feedback. Appreciate their. Use the insights from video telematics for positive reinforcement and recognition.
Step 3: Leverage Testimonials
Let them have a look at the real footage and the dashboard. Share your experiences on how other fleets have benefitted from video telematics.
How Video Telematics Enhances Safety on the Roads
As of 2020, there were 4842 incidents related to fatal crashes. You need to do your best to improve safety and avoid road accidents. It is your duty to safeguard your business from exaggerated claims, wrong accusations, and insurance fraud.
How can you avoid this? Video telematics is the silver bullet – with video telematics, you can:
- Know exactly what has happened
- Provide visibility into prevalent risky driving behaviors
- Provide in-cab coaching to the drivers upon detection of risky driving
- Coach drivers using personalized insights to become safer
- Reduce accidents, unsafe driving behavior and reap the benefits
- Make use of the best industry-best video telematics practice
Types of Driver Distractions and What Fleets Can Do About Them
Distracted driving manifests itself in many forms There are three kinds of driver distractions that you need to avoid:
- Visual distraction
- Manual distraction
- Cognitive distraction
The consequences can be monetary losses, damage in reputation, fatal and non-fatal damages with major and minor injuries.
Fleet Safety and Drivers: 3 Steps Toward Ensuring a Successful Fleet Safety Program
It is important for a fleet manager to ensure a fleet is run in a profitable and sustainable manner. For that, you need to find answers to the following questions:
- What safety objectives do you need to use for the fleet?
- How do you meet these objectives?
- What technology and tools should you use?
- How does the technology function and operate?
- What will be the benefits for the fleet and the drivers?
How to coach your drivers for fleet safety?
- Identify the training needs of your fleet driver
- Pick up the best training techniques
- Come up with a proper action plan
What are we looking forward to in 2023?
In 2023, we will continue to bring to our readers the latest about video telematics and dash-cams. We will also talk about what we are up to in LightMetrics and how we are working towards realizing Vision Zero through driver coaching. Look forward to a blog where we outline our plans for the new year in January 2023!
Hope you had a great time reading our blogs this year! Wishing you a wonderful holidays season and a very happy new year!